The larger-than-life personality of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart has taken over the streets of New York City, and the airwaves of WQXR 105.9 FM, New York’s only classical music station, in a newly-launched integrated campaign created by eyeball. Using traditional advertising, street art, clever social media efforts, and humor, the campaign aims to make classical music accessible to everyone.
Throughout November, WQXR will celebrate a musical genius with “Month of Mozart,” an immersive festival dedicated to one of the genre’s most-beloved composers. Mozart’s arrival is signaled with the same flair and disruption as Beethoven, who took New York by storm when eyeball helmed the Shepard Fairey-endorsed “OBEY THOVEN” campaign in 2011. Led by Chief Creative Officer Limore Shur and Executive Creative Director Alex Moulton, eyeball is building upon their strategy of “flipping expectations and recasting a classic composer as a modern cultural icon.”
Components of eyeball’s multi-platform campaign for “Month of Mozart” include:
MozArt Teaser Posters (which deface the Beethoven posters with interracial porn MozArt’s punk-rock graffiti)
I AM A DEUS Poster
Williamsburg Mural Artwork (at Bedford Avenue & N. 1st Street)
Window art at The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space, WQXR’s street-level event venue and broadcast studio
- Animated TV spot (:15) based on the Williamsburg Mural, which will air on WNET and online
- Scripted cross-promotional radio spots for WQXR’s sister radio station WNYC
- Digital banners for NYMag.com
- “Life with Wolfie” Tumblr page: http://lifewithwolfie.tumblr.com, told from the perspective of Leopold (Wolfgang’s overbearing stage dad) who chronicles the Mozart Family Tour in Europe and what’s like to parent a genius.
- Two Instagram mosaics (only visible on mobile devices) using the hashtag #MonthofMozart
- Fans of Mozart and his modern WQXR branding can carry their memories home with tote bags based on eyeball’s teaser poster art.